A long time ago, before Al Gore invented the Internet, I had a recipe for fancypants chocolate cookies that I ripped from a magazine. I can’t remember the name of the recipe. I can’t remember the name of the magazine. And I sure as hell can’t remember the name of the person that created it. The only thing I do remember is that it was a pain in the ass to make because one of the ingrediences (™ Teresa Giudice) is unsweetened baking chocolate. Who the fuck keeps that crap in their house? Not me, man (it’s not like I can eat it during a Hershey shortage – yeah, I’ve tried and yuck). I only buy it for this dumb cookie. I’m not too worried about giving proper credit to the originator of this recipe because I’ve changed it so much over the years that I can confidently claim this bad boy as my own. The only thing I never changed was the damn unsweetened baking chocolate because I was skeered. I figured if someone is willing to include that pain-in-the-ass baking chocolate it’s only because it’s supposed to be there. Timid baker, thy name is Nance.
I’ve been a cranky bitch for the last few days and I figure it’s because of the whore-moans. I always try to cure the whore-moans with chocolate. It never works, but I can’t stop trying because chocolate is the shits, yo! Since I needed a recipe for DCEP I figured I would break out the one with the most chocolate.
I know Robyn lines up all her ingredients like a goody-two-shoes, but puhleese. That would involve me being prepared and everybody needs to get real here. Robyn=goody-two-shoes. Nance=bad ass.
Of course I didn’t have that stupid unsweetened baking chocolate and no, I was not going to the store to get it. But I did find out something thanks to Chef Google. 3 tablespoons of Hershey’s cocoa combined with 1 tablespoon butter equals 1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate. W0oT!
After you mix everything up, it will look like this. It’s supposed to be goopy. Trust me.
Make sure you use one of those silicon baking sheets or aluminum foil to put on your cookie sheet for baking. Learn from my mistakes.
- 12 oz. Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. instant espresso powder (can substitute instant coffee powder)
- 4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheet with silicon pad or aluminum foil
- Microwave 12 oz. chocolate chips, baking chocolate and butter on high 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until mixture is melted and smooth.
- In another bowl beat eggs, sugar, espresso (or coffee) powder, vanilla, salt and baking powder on high for 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add chocolate mixture. Add flour and mix until blended. Add remaining ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoon unto cookie sheet. Dough will be gooey. Don't panic.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes. Surface will be dry, shiny and cracked looking. Inside will be soft.
- Slide silicon sheet or foil off of cookie sheet and allow to cool before removing.